Tony is our Charities Specialist Partner and leads our dedicated Charities team. He advises on a wide range of issues relevant to charities, these include:
- Acting as audit lead on charity audits
- Acting as Independent Examiner for smaller charities or those that do not require an audit
In addition to audit & independent examination roles, Tony regularly advises charities on:
- The relevant Charities SORP
- Accounting for Restricted Funds, in relation to both income and expenditure allocation
- Other reporting issues such as branch returns
- VAT – on trading activities & construction projects
- Governance issues
- Keeping Trustees up to date with Charity Commission latest ‘hot topics’
- Composition and training for Trustee Boards
- Presentation of Accounts to assist with grant applications
- Maximising Gift Aid claims, principally making sure Charities gain all the extra income they are entitled to
- Assisted a client with a major restructuring that involved the merger of two complimentary IT businesses, including aspects of taxation advice for the company, its directors and shareholders.
- Worked closely with a client’s Finance Director and finance team to help to resolve a major trade dispute with its parent company overseas. Following meetings with representatives of the overseas entity and its auditors, resulted in significant claims against our client being dropped.
- Helped a charity client to streamline its reporting procedures from its numerous autonomous branches located around the UK, resulting in greater management and Trustee control over its financial and general operations.
Tony’s interests include most sports, especially cricket, plus the theatre and helping local restaurants through a difficult trading period!