Forensic Services Partner
Dispute resolution and fraud investigations.
Kate trained at Deloitte and spent 11 years with the forensic accounting team there before joining Roffe Swayne to establish the forensic accounting team in 2011.
Kate advises clients on all aspects of forensic work from commercial disputes and fraud claims to business valuations and matrimonial disputes. She has acted for a variety of clients from private individuals and sole traders to multinational companies.
Kate is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and is a member of The Academy of Experts. She also sits on the ICAEW President’s Appointments Scheme panel of experts.
Kate speaks regularly on matters relating to forensic accounting such as the interpretation and manipulation of accounts, quantifying loss of profits, completion accounts disputes, warranty claims and business valuations.
Kate Hart is also listed as a forensic accounting expert within the legal experts category in the Who’s Who Legal.
Contact Kate Hart
You can follow Kate on Twitter @khartforensic
- Acting as the expert to quantify the losses suffered by an international listed pharmaceutical company as a result of the breach of a distribution agreement. The case went to a final arbitration hearing and Kate gave evidence on her opinion of the loss.
- Appointed as the single joint expert to value a marketing consultancy business owned largely by the husband and numerous unrelated minority shareholders. The company was a relatively recent start-up demonstrating rapid growth in both turnover and profitability.
- Appointed by the defendant in a shareholder dispute to calculate the current market value of an accountancy practice and the market value but for the actions of the defendant.
- Appointed as a single joint expert to report on the date upon which a company was insolvent and on the actions of the director, including the use of company funds and transactions in the director’s loan account.
- Acting as an expert to quantify the losses suffered by a multinational wine company over a five year period in respect of a production and packaging contract entered into with an international brewer.
- Appointed as the single joint expert to value the husband’s interest in a family owned haulage business. Also instructed to comment on the taxation implications of a sale or transfer of shares, the liquidity of the business and the status of pension income receivable by the husband from the company.
- Calculating the consequential losses suffered by a conference centre and student accommodation business following the mis-selling of an interest rate swap under the Financial Conduct Authority review scheme. The calculations also quantified the lost opportunity as a result of an inability to invest in and develop two additional sites for student accommodation.
- Quantifying the profits allegedly suffered as a result of the scraping of data from the claimant’s website by an online media business.
- Valuing a trademark and the shares held in three companies by a minority shareholder bringing a claim for unfair prejudice. Our work was used to inform the parties at a mediation which was ultimately successful in resolving the dispute.
When not working Kate enjoys spending time with her young family, running and playing in an amateur orchestra.
Here’s a list of some blogs written by Kate Hart:
Forensic Case History: Interest rate swap mis-selling (again)
Consequential losses arising from interest rate swap mis-selling
The ‘magnificent seven’ – top tips for avoiding employee fraud
Divorce business valuation, when lifestyle clouds reality
For more blogs and updates, please see our news page and chose the subject: forensic accounting on the right.